Every project must be related to one of the five UfM area mentioned in the declaration of
the Euro-Mediterranean ministerial conference on water:
- Adaptation to climate change - implementation of adaptation actions related to mitigation measures in the field of drought and flood management ; mitigation of the effects of water shortage and the fight against desertification;
- Balance between offer and demand - development of local policies that give high priority to an efficient use of water and that use new water supply measures (reuse of used water, recycling of rainwater, desalination);
- Protection and rehabilitation of environment - implementation of measures taking into account the needs of the ecosystem;
- Cleaning of the Mediterranean Sea - development of local policies that highlight the necessity of cleaning systems, particularly in the urban and coastal zones;
- Efficient technology and uses of water - support for innovative mechanisms and acknowledgment of the value of water in these mechanisms.